Alot of AC guys will probably get mad at me for sharing information this easily and readily available to the public. I feel that we should all live by the “to give a man a fish, or to teach a man how to fish” philosophy. So I decided to share this information with the masses. This information is meant for people who are pretty “handy” with tools. I don’t recommend doing anything that you feel uncomfortable or unsure about doing. As you may hurt yourself or the machine. I also want you to know that it is illegal to handle refrigerants without your Universal EPA license in the United States. They are fairly easy to obtain. I feel I can give you enough knowledge to safely save yourself a few bucks if you don’t mind getting your hands dirty in the process.
Always becareful when getting on roofs or climbing ladders. You could potentially get really hurt or even die. I am a professional and I fell through a sky light a few months ago while not paying attention to where I was stepping.
First thing you will need is some of the AC technicians most basic tools. I have attached links to some I approve of getting.
- Multimeter- these are mainly use to check voltage, continuity, and amps. Getting one with an amp clamp is quick way to check how much amperage motors are drawing. I also recommend getting one that reads microfarads for reading capacitors.
- Refrigeration gauges- I recommend getting some for R-410A refrigerant. These are the highest pressures you will probably deal with. R-410A is one of the most common refrigerants you will encounter.
- Screwdrivers-Both flat and phillips various lengths.
- Channel locks
- Wire strippers/cutters/terminal crimper
- Needle nose pliers
- Power drill or driver with 5/16″ and 1/4″ bits and phillips head bits
- Tool bag
- Ladder- to get on top of whatever roof you are trying to access.
- Rope- to bring parts and tools onto the roof.
I will add some other posts with updates to various simple discrepancies in your system that you may encounter.
Klein Tools 55421BP-14 Tradesman Pro Organizer BackpackKlein Tools 5541610-14 Tradesman Pro Organizer 10-Inch ToteFieldpiece SC260 Compact Clamp Multimeter with True RMSFieldpiece HS36 Expandable Autoranging True RMS Stick Multimeter w/BacklightYellow Jacket 42006 Series 41 Manifold with 3-1/8Yellow Jacket 41711 Series 41 Manifold with 2-1/2Yellow Jacket 19109 Quick Coupler Sealright CouplerFieldpiece BG44 Single Strap Bag SystemFIELDPIECE SPK1Fieldpiece ATC1R Pipe-Clamp Thermocouple 1/8-Inch to 3/4-Inch for Refrigeration by FieldpieceKlein Tools J203-7 Journeyman Standard Long-Nose Pliers, 7-InchIRWIN VISE-GRIP GrooveLock Pliers Set, V-Jaw, 2 Piece, 2078709Klein Tools 85078 Cushion-Grip Screwdriver Set (8-Piece)
Leave a Reply